On Wednesday, I addressed the Noon Hour Philosophers audience on why the Fox Valley needs to change how health care markets work here and indicated several potential reform initiatives. The audience of roughly 85 people heard an update on the talk I gave at Lawrence in October. Below I provide an overview of the talk. The slides are available at the website for the Fox Valley Healthcare Transformation Initiative.
- Health care markets are both inefficient and inequitable.
- Local healthcare systems are neither transparent nor accountable.
- Many barriers to serious reform exist because those who benefit from the current system are unwilling to change.
- Local reform is possible and is much more viable than serious state or national reform.
- The Fox Valley Healthcare Transformation Initiative needs your help.